The Internet Identity blockchain authentication system enables you to sign in securely and anonymously to dapps (decentralized applications) on the Internet Computer. For example, your Internet Identity can be used to log in to the Network Nervous System app (NNS), where you can store and stake ICP and participate in the governance of the Internet Computer.
To create an Internet Identity, you will need a device with a security authentication feature (e.g., a security key like Yubikey, smart phone passcode or locking option, or a biometrics fingerprint or face ID). If you are using a Microsoft PC with Windows Hello, you will follow a different procedure. Otherwise, follow the below simple steps.
- Open a supported browser (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, or Safari). Go to identity.ic0.app. Click on register with a new identity.
- Enter your device’s name (e.g., "My Google Pixel 4"). Then click register.
- Then select your choice of authentication method. Authenticate either with your security key, smart phone passcode or locking option, or a biometrics fingerprint or face ID.
- Confirm registration. You will be provided with your Internet Identity number. Note the number, and save the number somewhere secure.
- Press continue; you will be directed to a warning page that asks you to set up account recovery. Continue and choose your recovery option. You can select either seed phrase and/or a security key. Press continue again, and you're done.
Feeling lost? Here's a more detailed guide
You can change your recovery method whenever you want by logging into identity.ic0.app. Here, you can also manage or add authorized devices and change your seed phrase or security key. If you use a seed phrase, be sure to save it in a secure, physical location as a best practice! Even if you lose it, you can still change your seed phrase by logging into identity.ic0.app using existing devices.
Take your Internet Identity for a test drive! Log in and explore the NNS UI or check out DSCVR. Now you're all set to securely and effortlessly participate in the expansive Internet ecosystem.
Connect With Us:
Twitter | Telegram | Instagram | Facebook | Email
- Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the original author and other contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Dfinity Community staff and/or any/all contributors to this site.
Comments are for members only. Join the conversation by subscribing 👇.